Monday, February 2, 2009

Movies based on Books


Are they ever any good? Can you think of a single book that has been adapted into a movie that is better than the novel? I can't. I really can't. I am watching The Devil Wears Prada right now and it really isn't a patch on the book.


Take Gone with the Wind for example. Margaret Mitchel's Civil War classic is one of my all time favourite books. The movie whilst also a classic just doesn't quite capture how wonderful Scarlett OHara is, or how deep her obsession with Ashley and later Rhett Butler was.
Can anyone think of a movie that is actually better? I challenge you to think of just one...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...no. Can't think of any. Although I'm looking forward to The Time Travellers Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Age of Innocence. And I really do think that Gone with the Wind captured the characterisation of the novel, even if it omitted a lot of the plot sequences (it would have been 6 1/2 hours not 3 1/2 hours!!!).

    ReplyDelete