Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day One of Swim Squad- and I live to tell the tale...

Today I decided to venture back into the pool for a swim squad. At Yeronga Pool in Brisbane, Red Dog Triathlon do adult swim squads pretty much every day for an hour. There is even child care on site- perfect!

So manned with my new fins, hand paddles, kickboard and goggles I arrived at the pool with much trepidation. I made a beeline for Lane 1 (otherwise refered to as the 'gumby lane') and pretended that I knew what was going on.

'800 with fins' yelled Trent Patten and off we went. Sadly I didn't hear the 'with fins' part of the instructions and couldn't work out why everyone looked like they were swimming the 800m so effortlessly! Fortunately after the first 100m, another swimmer pointed at my error (after being stuck swimming behind me for 2 laps) and this was rectified quickly!

Well, I was exhausted after the first 800m! And the worst bit? Apparently this was the warm up! WTF! I was already tasting breakfast for the second time that day!! Trent being a pretty good swim coach (apparently he was Libby Lentons coach amongst others) recognised it was my first day and when he sent the squad off for another 800m quietly told me that 600m for me would be fine- well thank god!

But it wasn't over yet- another 400m with kickboard and leg buoys and hand paddles, 400m at 'full pace' and then 200m for at 'moderate' pace. Oh. My. God.

Finally it was over bar the 100m cool down swim.

I am very pleased to say that I lived through it and didn't drown. And the best bit? I am keen to go again on Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you're AMAZING Court!!! Way to go!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete